In the beginning, our unknowing selves boarded a plane to a
foreign exotic land. What did we expect? We didn’t even know. Once we arrived
we grabbed our bags (… well, my team did… my bags were lost in the Phillipines!…)
and headed out to our temporary homes. Lynne and I lived with a most lovely,
older couple- newlyweds. I can’t ever tell if it’s cute or awkward when while
I’m in the room he tickles her and she giggles. I suppose I’m just glad I don’t
know Thai that well. I think they are too by the look on her face when he grins
and says something, she giggles, then shoots me a look as if she wonders if I
know what he said… So maybe barefoot language learning isn’t so bad after all… I
keep getting off topic.
We’ve had some interesting,
to say the least, experiences while living in the village. May I share a few?
Great, thanks.
We have frequented all the surrounding temple celebrations and some
raging karaoke parties. Our “parents” are so popular! Temple celebrations could
be anything like a big carnival with thousands of people and shops and games
and everything a carnival has… including really fun carnies. But temple
celebrations could also be like going to a weird concert with ladyboys, half
naked singers, and lots and lots of alcohol and people asking us to dance, all
the while the monks sit at the top of the stairs watching.
The most recent temple celebration we attended had what’s
called a Saw. The first time someone here asked me if I wanted to watch Saw, of
course the first thing that popped in my head was the popular, extremely
gruesome movie series in the United States. That’d be quite an interesting way
to celebrate a temple. This Saw, however, is more like a musical comedy,
sometimes adding in some Ram Thai (traditional Thai dancing that I’m hoping to
become an expert at). The last temple celebration we attended had said Saw with Ram Thai.
It was really beautiful at times. Of course I didn’t know what they were
saying. It wasn’t until they got to one song that I understood the plot of the
Saw- the actors/singers/dancers began hip thrusting and chasing each other.
Ummm… So needless to say, instead of just watching, I began interceding for the
people and the darkness around. This is a most interesting culture and filled
with many of the same things I see at home. Creator, please bring hope and
light to this place and show them what real
love, Your love, is.
While one particular actor was singing his song, a giant
party truck was driving through the celebration that stretched up the entire
hill up to the temple. It was a truck decked in flashing Christmas lights and a
stereo system in the bed that blared loud enough that deaf people in Russia
started tapping their foot to the rhythm. It slowly made its way up the hill toward the stage. People sat in
their chairs watching the actor/singer, turning to watch the party truck, back
to the actor, to their children running
up the temple stairs playing loudly, back to the party truck, and on and on for
about ten minutes. What in the world was going on?! You could neither hear or
understand anything and it seemed so perfectly normal judging by the reaction
of the crowd. Then again, maybe I just couldn’t understand the words so I just
sat there super lost, ear drums bleeding, laughing at the utter chaos that it
was to me. A phrase I use often, “It’s all about the experience.” Ha!
In the village we also got to spend some good time with some
very caring people that just like to spend time with each other. We love our
homestay “family”. That includes our “aunts, uncles, cousins, sister,
brother-in-law, and nephew.” It’s never a dull moment when they’re around. Especially
when they playfully make fun of us for not liking something, thinking the food
is really hot, trying to speak Thai and saying something embarrassing because
the tones are stinkin’ confusing! Yeah, that one happened the other night. I
know not to say that word EVER again. Our homestay family had a Thai barbeque for a going away party for us. Our extended family joined the party. The pictures do some justice. It also consisted of spotting a king cobra. That was fun. We also had some karaoke time and hair braiding. Party!
| Crikey! |
| Sike! It's only a baby... which are apparently the most poisonous. |
| Bowls of meat to put on the little grill trays |
| Lynne! |
| There's the fam! |
| Karaoke! Eyebrow shaving. |
| "Pa" and "Uncle" |
In the village we have also had a lot of time to just sit.
This brings opportunities to take naps, read our B*ble, read a novel (I’m a new
fan), intercede, sweat, watch Thai boxing, think, read, stare, contemplate what
in the world we are doing here, be reminded it’s not even about us, and all
that other fun stuff. Recently, I have found myself frustrated. Did I not come
here to tell of the grace and mercy I have received, the love I have found, the
power that now resides in me due to a Power
that is greater than me?! Then why can’t I proclaim it?! Why must I sit here in
silence, unable to explain and unable to understand?… Because He has it this
way. Whaaaa? In my time in the village, I have had beautiful times of
intercession with Him for the people here and at home. I have been able to dig
into the Word He has provided His people. As I sat there on the cool brown tile
floor in our couch-less “family room”, I remembered that He has also taught me
about my worth. So often people say, “Find your worth in Him.” Duh, I’m a
believer, I’ve already done that.. Wrong.
Let me take you on a short journey. Through my frustration I have been
battling with having joy and taking in every moment of this experience. One
night, we loaded up in the bed of “dad’s” black Toyota pickup to head to our
“aunt and unlce’s” house near the city for dinner. I sat with my legs hugged to
my sternum pondering what it looked like to practically live in joy and to soak
up every moment of our time here. So I asked Lynne what she thought. As
conversation began to unfold, I realized that I lacked joy and moment-soaking
because I didn’t feel as if I was
fulfilling any purpose. It’s as if I am just in a foreign land, uncomfortable as
snottin’ cotton, being lost and confused all day for nothing. What am I doing??? Nothing!!Did I forget that He has purpose in all the things He
does and that He knew I was going to be joining Him in Thailand? “Your eyes saw
me when I was formless; all my days were written in Your book and planned
before a single one of them began” Psalm 139:16. He knew I would be here and
that I would be drawn to Him because of
my seeming “doing nothing”. I used to find my worth in (doing things, serving)
Him. I used to find joy in (doing things, serving) Him. But He is my worth
because He is rich in mercy and love and sees me worthy. He is my joy because
He has saved me, He is all things good, He loves me, He gives me purpose, He
forgives me and draws me back to Himself, He blesses me according to His
blessing (Ephesians 3:16-21), etc. He doesn’t need me. He wants me.
Thank You, Almighty Creator.
So there I sat, reflecting, sitting on that cool brown tile
floor of our couch-less living room. The fan was blowing and causing the hair on
my head to randomly poke me in the eye and sweep ever so gracefully across my
face to tickle my nose. I just sat, and learned what it is to have joy and
worth in Him. Thank You, ever gracious Teacher.
Well, this blog didn’t enlighten you too much on my time in
the village. Haha. Oops. I guess this is a final summation of the previous
blogs all month long.
And we also picked some lom yai (very abundant fruit lf Thailand) for two days from 10-5. No one spoke English so I got to have a personal prayer retreat. Not too exciting but thought I'd share anyway.
Thanks for sticking with me. Much love and His blessings.
Belt out.
Oh! P.S. My Thai name is May Lee. Everyone here calls me
May. But the teachers at the school gave me another Thai name that they use
randomly: Jon Touhng- Moon of Gold.
Okay now I’m done.




No comments:
Post a Comment