It’s funny
living in another culture where you don’t know the language. This kind of life
takes spontaneity to a whole new level. The people around you know what’s going
on, but you sure don’t. What’s even better is when you think you figured out
what they were trying to tell you and you think
you know what’s going on. That is the continual theme of Lynne’s and my (Lynne
and I’s… I don’t know) homestay. It definitely makes life so much more comical
when we make up either where we are going, what we are doing, what’s going on
around us, or what people are saying. Let me tell you, this puts us into fits
of laughter and possibly suspicious giggling. If you have ever watched a TV
show in another language, being unsure of what they are saying, but using the
facial expressions and hand motions to make up the story, that’s what Lynne and
I do on a daily basis. Needless to say, we laugh a LOT. And our family and
friends here love it. We are all just a laughing mess. I wonder if they do the
same thing.
We most
definitely have some stories we could share about these experiences and our
attempts at guessing everything. Quite often we end up doing something really
random with our family. Recently, we took an adventure all decked out in some
rice farming attire. That includes long sleeve shirts and some obnoxious hats
with fabric hanging down to protect your neck from the sun. “We’re going to go
pick rice!” So off we go in the back of our “dad’s” Toyota. We turn on some
backroad and end up stopping at a wooden shelter of poles and a roof. A man and
wife are sitting beneath it and before too long, we join them. As we sit there,
Lynne and I begin our game of guessing. It’s too funny. And as the people laugh
at us attempting Thai words or just acting silly, we are laughing at the
conversations they are having via our mouths. Before too long, other people
stop by and we are all just laughing at each other. Oh, the gift of laughter-
may we never take it for granted. I have been reminded while being here that I
cannot be so afraid of messing up that I don’t live life and get to know
people. That’s been a great reminder and a great motivator to keep me stepping
out of that comfort zone. Outside the comfort zone can bring a lot of laughter.
Well, to
finish the story, we never ended up picking rice. Instead we drove around all
the rice fields and our “dad” ended up climbing a tree to pick some fruit
(super sour and for sure an acquired taste). So I guess the hats were just for
the trip there? Or maybe for them to get a good laugh. I wouldn’t be surprised
by much when I’m living in another culture where I don’t know the language.
AND in case
you were wondering, which you probably weren’t, I got to climb the tree as
well. Of course I wouldn’t pass up tree climbing!
That’s all
for now… At least all that I will be sharing on the internet. Lynne and I will
keep on laughing it up.
| I can now check Rice Farmer Modeling off my bucket list. |
| This is Lynne and I in our rice farmer outfits, in front of rice fields that lay in the foreground of the beautiful mountains... But "mom's" finger must've gotten in the way. Oops! |
| "Mom" and Lynne workin it! |
No comments:
Post a Comment