Friday, September 13, 2013

Waan Chang (Day Elephant)

Today, like any normal day in an exotic, beautiful country, hundreds of tourists headed up a mountain to watch elephants perform and to take a ride on an elephant through the mountain terrain. However, today we joined them! I had no idea it would be so enjoyable. 

When we first arrived we watched the elephants take a bath. Scandalous. It was so cute watching them roll around in the stream and having their trainers brush them. I didn't know I loved elephants until I saw them today. Mama, can I have one?! After that, we went to watch the elephant show. They played soccer, painted a picture, raced, and a variety of other activities. After every activity, they would bow and make an elephant noise. 
After the show, we got to get in on the action! We hopped on the back of an elephant and took a stroll trough the mountain. Our quaint, old elephant chauffeur is from a hilltribe people group called the Karens. Though a man of few words, he was fun. 
When we got done with our mountainous treck, we headed to the souvenir shop, of course. Once there I crossed the sidewalk up some stone stairs to a little shrine area. In that area sat two shrines. The first one I saw was for the god Ganesha, who is know for, among many things, being the god of success. This god is typically found in Hinduism. The people of the elephant camp also venerated this god because he was also given the title of the god of the elephants. However, Thailand is a majority Buddhist nation. Therefore, right next to the Ganesha shrine was a Buddha shrine. Apparently Buddha is not actually considered a god, but he is highly revered like a god in that he is prayed to, bowed to, learned about, and referred to in great reverence like a god or king. It really struck me how strange it was to have two different shrines from two different belief systems right next to each other. Then it reminded me that everyone is searching for something, while many never discover what the Something is. People search for relationships, experiences, spirituality, and so much more. Today I saw elephants, but I also saw my fellow man's confused attempts at satisfying a longing, receiving a blessing, ensuring favor, and connecting with something greater than ourselves. Please intercede for the people of this nation, that He may bring Light more abundantly. Thank you.
 
Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. 
They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see. 
They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell. 
They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat. 
Those who make them become like them; so do all who trust in them. (Psalm 115:4-8 ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment